Instructions on How to Make a Baby Shower Diaper Cake
Baby Shower Diaper Cakes are becoming more and more popular as they serve as both a beautiful baby shower centerpiece and a wonderful gift for any expecting mother. They are really easy to make and do not affordable as you have control on which gift items you select, which brand of pampers you use, how many tiers, etc. Baby Shower Diaper Cake directions are below and a quick video tutorial is soon to come.
What you will need to make a Baby Shower Diaper Cake:
- 50-60 Diapers
- Rubber bands (various sizes – be sure to get large ones)
- Gift Items (lotion, baby wash, bottles, pacifiers etc.)
- Roll of ribbon (I used 1 ½ inch wide)
- Cardboard (16” disposable platter) – or you could use a cake dish
- Cellophane – optional
- Double sided tape
- Diaper Pins (not many, this is for securing the receiving blankets)
Directions for a Baby shower Diaper Cake
- Neatly and tightly roll up all diapers from the open end and secure them with a rubber band. I always roll them up with the front side down
- Insert your first gift item in a large rubber band and then add as many rolled diapers necessary to circle it. This will be your first layer for the bottom tier.
- For the middle layer, add another rubber band around the tier you just made and again insert as many rolled diapers necessary to circle it. Note: when applying rubber bands around an entire tier, you may need to push down and shape the tier before adding more rubber bands.
- Repeat step 3 for the outer layer of the bottom tier.
- Place the bottom tier on the cardboard
- Make the 2nd layer by following steps 2 and 3.
- Make the 1st layer by following step 2.
- Tie ribbon around the diaper cake to conceal the rubber bands or you can the layers with receiving blankets that match your theme!
- Fold the receiving blanket so that it matches the height of your tier.
- For the base, you may need to fold the receiving blanket into a triangle and continue to fold until it matches the height of your tier.
- Wrap it around the layer and secure it with a diaper pin.
- Use double sided tape to attach the tiers to one another.
- Add items such as pacifiers, teething rings, stuffed animals by attaching them with colorful ribbon to the ribbon that surrounds the layers of the diaper cake or to the hidden rubber bands. You can also stuff items into the receiving blankets you wrapped around the layers or in between the diapers themselves.
- Top the diaper cake with a stuffed animal, rubber ducky, toy car, etc. You could also insert an infant bottle into the top tier and have the nipple stick out at the cake topper.
- For the stuffed animals, rubber ducky, toy car, etc. you can secure by stuffing their limbs in the receiving blankets or by attaching them using the hidden rubber bands or ribbon.
Tip: To add bibs you simply insert them, smoothed out, in between tiers.
If you would like to make diaper cakes that look like: